Saturday, October 26, 2013

Honduras as a Home

A couple weeks ago, shortly after my last post, I came to the realization that I have been living in Honduras longer than I have lived in any other country outside of the states. I feel like this should have come with more of an impact, but it hasn't truly hit me yet that Honduras is a place where I live, not just a place where I'm taking a short trip. I'm in the process of investing a lot of my life here as I aim more on making it a home. I'm transitioning well to living here, and I think I feel comfortable here now, but still feel kind of distant from communities outside of the school. If you think of it, please be praying for opportunities for me to become more involved in the city and with the people of Tegucigalpa.

There hasn't been a lot that has happened in the past couple of weeks, but last weekend I did get to take a trip with other teachers from the community last weekend. We went to Amapala which is an island off the southern coast of Honduras. It took over 6 hours to get there and back, but it was definitely one of my favorite days here so far. On the way to Amapala, I got to spend a lot of time just listening to music and talking to the Father. God really spoke to me throughout the day and gave me much needed restoration in spending time with Him. I also got to hang out with some wonderful people on the beach and simply enjoy the beautiful creation around me.
A view of the mainland from the boat to Amapala

School has been going very well as I've had more IEP meetings and pressing forward into this new intervention program I'm helping create with the other two teachers in the department. My kids are cute, frustrating, exciting, loving, and wonderful. I've definitely had days when I just stand back and wonder what I'll do next with a student who tests my patience, but God always guides me in what to do with my students. My students have had light-bulb moments which just make me so proud to be their teacher. One of my second graders now knows his addition facts of 1 + a number 1-9!! That same second grader can now sound out three letter words which is something he couldn't do at the beginning of the year. I'm just amazed to see the growth they are experiencing in two months of school. Those are moments that affirm my decision to become a teacher.

2nd Grade Reader's Theater: The Three Little Pigs 
2nd Grade Reader's Theater: Turtle the Taxi 



This past week was also Prayer Week at IST. I had the opportunity to sit in the prayer room during lunch for the 1-3 graders. What an amazing experience! It was humbling to see these young students praying with such genuine hearts. I prayed with a couple of them and hearing their prayers brought tears to my eyes. They pray so BIG. My first thought when I heard a few of their prayers was, "Well, that would be nice." Then I was reminded by these little children that our God IS big. He can do the impossible, and we need to be praying for big things to happen. We are called to have the faith of a child, and I got to see what that faith looks like.

I've definitely had struggles throughout this school year with homesickness, frustration with students, and living in an unfamiliar place, but God has shown His faithfulness through it all. He has given me an awesome community to support and encourage me. He lead me to a church that I look forward to attending every Sunday. I'm in a great Bible study that meets once a week. When I look back at everything that has happened so far, I'm amazed at God's provision. Through everything, whether extremely difficult or easy, I've been beyond blessed. Even through the hardships, God has pulled me closer to Himself. I'm loving being able to look back and see how He is truly working in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment