Saturday, October 5, 2013

An Overdue Update

So it's been just about a month since my last post. That is mostly due to the hard drive crashing on my computer and having to get it replaced. Thankfully, a friend in my Bible study had an extra hard drive here that was compatible with my computer, and after 3 weeks I have it back. A lot has happened in the past month, but I'll try to stick to the highlights.

About 3 weeks ago, I had the awesome opportunity to take advantage of a Monday off school and head up the mountain with my housemates and three other wonderful women. On our way up the mountain, we stopped to get pupusas at Valle de Angeles and saw a huge parade forming throughout the town for Honduras' Independence Day. We stayed at a German couple's bed and breakfast even further up the mountain where we enjoyed the view, the food, and some hiking. It was such a great time to relax and marvel at God's creation as we hiked for a few hours, saw a magnificent waterfall, read in hammocks on the side of the mountain, and ate delicious homemade food that Jorge and Monika
One of the views from our hike
 (the German couple) prepared for it. I was literally speechless as I simply stood on the porch of our small cabin looking out at the surrounding mountains and small towns, knowing that God had created it all.

As far as school goes, I think that myself and the other teachers in the CIRA department (providing services for students who have learning disabilities) are making great strides to update the program. We're making a lot of changes this year which can be very stressful, but I think we're finally starting to feel more comfortable doing so. This past week, we really focused on writing IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) for our students and getting those in place. I even had an IEP meeting with a set of parents and it went far better than I ever expected. It definitely helped to boost my confidence in knowing that God has prepared me for this job and will use me in the lives of my students.

I am loving my students more and more each day. Even the kids who aren't technically my students are starting to remember my name and open up to me. I've made a habit of hanging out with Paola (the student in my last post) every day after school when I can. She always makes me laugh and brightens my day because she is never without a smile. I love being able to just spend time with her as she waits for her sister to pick her up. Another student named Fernando (he's not actually my student) shared his stuffed animal with me yesterday during their reading time. I know that's random, but the hearts of these kids is just so neat to see.
Meet Paola!

This is Fernando, myself, and his pug named Whitey.



Although I've been living here for over 7 weeks now, I'm still adjusting to the mindset that I live here. This isn't just a trip I'm taking to visit another country. I'm here to live. That's becoming more of a reality every day with walks down to a pulperia, trips to the grocery store, cab rides to the mall, or even short conversations with the guys who guard the gate to my street. I rode a busito down to the main market downtown today, and that trip was definitely an experience that made me feel more comfortable here. I was surrounded by Hondurans, doing something that is so common for them. It's experiences like that that show me God's intent for me to be more intentional about being present here.

A view of half of my street from the gate to my house
God has deifnitely been working in me through my time here. I struggled with homesickness a lot last month as the new-ness of Honduras had worn off and I really began to crave time with friends and family from back home. It was through that time that God continued to be present and draw me closer to Him. I'm learning about being more and more dependent on the Father, and I feel so blessed to be learning such a wonderful lesson. I would love and appreciate any and all prayers as I continue to see what God has for me here. Thanks again for all of your encouragement and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment