Sunday, August 25, 2013

I'm a teacher?

So I've slacked on blogging this past week, but I'll try to condense things as much as I can so this won't be a super long post.

Let's backtrack to a week ago where I experience my first church in Honduras. A bus came around to most of the teachers' houses to pick everyone up and took us to a church in el centro called Santidad. On a normal Sunday, the service is only in Spanish, but since the pastor knew a group of us would be coming he had someone translating everything in English for us. The translator was Eduardo who is the recruiter for IST. He actually remembered me from MVNU and I got to take a picture with him after the service so he could send it to Enrique who is the guy I tutored at the Naz who graduated from IST. Long story, but it's still wonderful to see all of the connections God made to bring me to this beautiful country. Anyway, the church service was pretty wonderful as everyone was so welcoming and gracious to us. After church, we went to one of the administrator's houses up at the top of a mountain for lunch. It was a wonderful, relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

Honestly, this past week is kind of a blur in my mind. Like I said before, I've only been here for a short time, but it feels like it has been a while. I worked another 6 day week because the school had an Open House for most students on Saturday. It made for a rather long week, but a lot was accomplished in that time. I attended more training, met with the vice principal many times to talk about what CIRA (the intervention program) will look like this year, separated and organized all of the materials that were left in my classroom, and divided up the students who will receive intervention services among the three CIRA teachers. I am now so looking forward to meeting students, especially the 16 on my case load. I'll be working with lots of 5th graders, a few 4th graders, and four 2nd graders. I can't wait to put names to faces and start building relationships with them. This week has definitely had its stressful and overwhelming moments, but when I remember that I'll actually get to be teaching soon, it makes it completely worth it. Although I probably won't actually start teaching until next week, the school will be full of students tomorrow. The silence will be replaced with voices, and the chaos and delight of working in an elementary school will start. I'm super nervous but excited to really become a teacher.



The view from one side of my classroom!
The view of the Pepsi and Dunkin Donuts plants on the other side of my classroom!



More on the transition side of things, I think I'm still doing pretty well! My housemate invited people over for dinner a couple nights this past week so I was able to spend some time with people I wouldn't normally. I also went over to a house of some of the other elementary teachers just to hang out and take a night off. We even had people over to the house last night to simply fellowship and play games together. It's been wonderful to see how God has brought everyone here and be able to listen to their stories. I think our community is pretty tight and supportive of one another which is a huge blessing. I'm encouraged by so many of these Christ followers and I'm looking forward to investing more in those friendships.

I can't really explain it, but I have a really good feeling about this year. I'm not quite sure what God has in store, but I know that it is something bigger than I could imagine. I mean, He already brought me to Honduras. That was big in and of itself. I know that very difficult times may lie ahead, but I'm just so awestruck by God's majesty and provision that I look forward to seeing the mystery of the future revealed. I pray that God will use me in the lives of my students, the staff, and of the Honduran people who I come in contact with. I pray that He would change me and break me so that I can look more like Him. Your prayers and support are greatly appreciated as I continue to seek God's will in my life here in Honduras!

No comments:

Post a Comment