Saturday, January 14, 2017

A New Side of Tegus

Pano view from the ministry office
For those of you in colder parts of the world and interested in the weather here in Honduras, my phone says that it's 79 degrees. The sun is shining brightly, and if I could send you all sunshine I would. Trust me. My mom already asked about that.

I've officially been back in Honduras for just over a week. There have been a lot of changes, moving difficulties, and new things to get used to, but honestly things just feel so familiar. It's so nice to recognize people and places around to have a sense of normalcy even a place I've been away from for 6 months. I have been so supported by family and friends that I'm left speechless at times. Thank you for all of your prayers and encouragement in this time of transition!

I'd love to give you guys a quick recap of my week before I forget what happened. I landed back in Tegucigalpa on Friday the 6th where I got picked up by the Barahonas. We went to lunch and I got some groceries before we made it to my apartment. My landlords greeted me and made sure I had everything I needed! Every time I think about this apartment, I just think of how blessed I am to live here. It's so wonderful! After having some frustrations with getting in contact with people in the states, I was able to talk to my family and get unpacked.
Friends!
On Saturday, two of my wonderful friends came to pick me up for a day of shopping (you know, for practical stuff) and just reconnecting. We made lunch together and definitely had some laughs. That night, 14 other friends came over. I am so thankful for friends who will come over and sit on my living room floor just to enjoy a time of fellowship. I do have places to sit, just not enough for that many people.
On Sunday, I was able to return to Union church and see some familiar faces. I went out to lunch and did some grocery shopping with my favorite Cruz family afterwards. Have I mentioned that I'm so thankful for the community I have? Monday was a day of rest since I didn't have to start work at Nueva Esperanza until Tuesday.
Barbara and Carlos picked me up around 9:30 on Tuesday to go to the ministry. Barbara showed me my desk upstairs and gave me a key. After I stopped staring at the view from my desk, I started working right away on editing child information sheets that need to be mailed out to sponsors in February. I was also introduced to the teachers at the ministry when I went down to eat lunch with them. Since Tuesday, I've started riding to work with a woman who works at the ministry,  practiced speaking Spanish a lot, gave a short teaching training on Wednesday, worked a lot on child information sheets, and gave a birthday gift to a teenage girl in the youth program at the ministry.
Iced Aeropress coffee at one of my favorite cafés in Tegus. 
Outside of the ministry, I've also been able to do a lot with friends these past few days. I went to a Bible study with some women from my church on Wednesday night, and I went to a friend's house for dinner on Thursday. Friday night I stayed at the Barahonas' house for a game night, and this morning I met a friend for coffee after thoroughly confusing a really kind taxi driver. I have really enjoyed my time with people this past week as I'm relearning what my community might look like here.

Even though I'm living in Honduras again, I've said more than once this week that I'm starting to learn my "new part" of the city. The school I worked at for the past 3 years is across town, so every time I get in a car I try to figure out how the roads around me connect. Most things feel normal, but I realize that what I'm doing now is so very different. I have learned so much about the children who are enrolled at Nueva Esperanza through reading and rereading the child information sheets I've been editing. Tears have formed in my eyes more than once as I read what the families at the ministry have been through. I have also been encouraged to read how some of the kids have changed through what they have learned about Christ and the love He has for them through Nueva Esperanza.

To say that I am excited to work with this ministry would be a drastic understatement. Although I'm excited, I also am slightly scared and nervous to be working in such a different capacity. Tutoring five year olds in Reading and Writing in Spanish will definitely stretch me. This is so much different than IST.  I know that my heart will be broken more than once as I get to know these kids and families more personally. I know that I haven't cried in the ministry office for the last time; however, I do have hope. Kids' lives and the lives of their family members are being affected through Nueva Esperanza. I am so glad to be apart of it in this capacity.

Here are some specific prayer requests:

  • the families involved with Nueva Esperanza
  • the teachers at the ministry as they prepare for a new school year
  • practical things for me in transitioning--figuring out rides, how to continue transitioning well, taking taxis on my own, finishing child information sheets, etc.
Once again, thank you for your support, prayers, and encouragement that helped me get here. When I think about the amazing, supportive community that I have all over the world, I'm left speechless. I am definitely looking forward to working with Nueva Esperanza this year, and I couldn't have done it without you. Also, below are some pictures of my apartment. Yes they are all different sizes and not arranged in any sort of pattern.

 

 


3 comments:

  1. GENUINE LOAN WITH LOW INTEREST RATE APPLY
    Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.Email: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Business Planning, Commercial and Development Finance, Properties and Mortgages,Debt Consolidation Loans, Business Loans, Private loans,car loans, hotel loans, student loans, personal loans Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate at 3% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies. Get the best for your family and own your dream home as well with our General Loan scheme. Interested applicants should Contact us via email: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you

    ReplyDelete